Sunday, August 25, 2013

Glow me up, Baby!

On Saturday the very first Brisbane Glow Run event was held at River Stage. This was definitely one of those in it for fun, and not time/calorie burn type of events. Along for the ride (er, walk) was a great group of girls, so I knew I was in for a night of fun and hilarity!


I usually absolutely hate any kind of dress ups/costume parties and the like, I think because of my weight I’ve just never felt comfortable doing that kind of thing, but this one I was determined to not give a sh*t and go all out! And I did! Along with Ange we became twinsies in, wait for it! Bright pink wigs, a pink and teal tutu, multiple glow sticks hung around our necks and wrists, a flashing rings and bright pink flashing “sunglasses”.

 

It was also the first of this kind event for my dear friend Julie. I think we all scared her a bit with our craziness, but she was a champion and did a fantastic job of the 5kms!


This is what I feel exercise should be about – not slogging it out (though some people like that too), but every now and again doing an activity just because it’s fun, and any calorie burn you get is just a bonus (but the last thing from your mind). Hanging out with those girls – all so inspiring, seeing other groups having so much fun, and high fiving unsuspecting tourists along the Southbank walk gave me just the most amazing high.


The walk did another surprising thing for me. It really put a new fire in my belly to be able to run 5km. I’ve had huge issues with tight calf muscles that have really hindered me getting to this goal so I’ve put a few things into place to try and overcome it: seeing an osteopath and stretching – LOTS of stretching. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment